Sag Aloo! Not only does it sound funny, it also cures boredom.
This is a delicious Indian-inspired meal for lunch or dinner. I wouldn’t want it for breakfast, but I hear it has magical hangover cures. This recipe makes enough to feed about 8 people.
- 4 potatoes
- 1 pound fresh or frozen spinach
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 tablespoon fresh crushed garlic)
- A big pot
- A big skillet
- A cereal bowl
- In the pot, add as much water as you need to cover the potatoes by about an inch. Start boiling.
- In the skillet, sautee the onion in water (you could use oil but I’m trying to keep this recipe low fat) on about medium heat. You probably don’t want to try to caramelize them in water.
- Chop the potatoes into cubes or pterodactyls or whatever shape is your favorite.
- Add potatoes to water even if it’s not perfectly boiling yet.
- Open can of coconut milk. Pour into cereal bowl.
- Add powdered stuff to cereal bowl.
- If you don’t have a mortar-n-pestle, fold the coriander seeds and clove in a paper towel and beat them like they’re an obese relative asking you where you get your protein.
- Shake the atomized coriander and clove dust into the bowl.
- By now the onions should be softened up. Shake the spinach and peas into the skillet. Add a little more water (1/3 cup should do) and cover to steam.
- Once the skillet of green stuff has softened up a little, the potatoes should be nearly done cooking.
- Make sure you whisk the cereal bowl nicely. Tumeric is really fine and doesn’t immediately blend with the coconut milk.
- Fun part! Dump the cereal bowl into the skillet!
- Stir it around while it simmers and feel like a cook.
- Enjoy compliments from roommates/family/dogs/ghosts about the lovely smell.
- Drain potatoes when they’re soft enough.
- Add potatoes to skillet. That’s right. Add potatoes and greens in the same skillet. This craziness cannot be contained.